Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Express Myself: Mission Accomplished

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, I embarked on a journey into unknown lands.  Never before had I attempted to create a ruffle-trimmed t-shirt, reminiscent of my beloved (all too expensive) $40 shirt at Express.
The Forbidden Fruit

Different color shows detailing.  The shirt I wanted was blush pink.

After falling completely in love with an item that was never meant to be, I put my thinking cap on.  On a whim, I determined to make a shirt of my own, exactly like the Express shirt... for $20 or less.  When I typed that bold statement on this fledgling blog, I must confess that a little inner voice was whispering in my ear:  Are you sure you can actually deliver that?  That is a tall order and you've never done anything like it before...

Fast forward 4 months, a few holidays, and a couple of sewing machines later,  I am happy to say that


I have been victorious!  

This project has been a lot of fun, but it's been a learning process as well.  Such lessons as how to sew such stretchable material and create ruffles with ribbons was simply trial and error.  Nevertheless, it has all been worth it.  I am now the proud owner of a blush-rose-pink ribbon and ruffle-trim tank top just in time for the spring season!

The best part of it all??  
My total sum cost for the shirt was $19.50!!  

Recipe for success:

2 tank tops, Black Friday sale at Target = $9 ea. 

1 spool of ribbon, blush rose pink, Black Friday sale = $0.50

1 spool of thread:  already owned

Dash of love

Pinch of Determination

Voila!







~how divine~


What do you think?  Did I succeed?

This project was actually quite manageable. It's shocking how simple it is to take a simple tank top from shab to fab in about 10 easy steps!


1.) Purchased two tank tops that were durable, yet affordable.  Wash them first so that they are pre-shrunken and clean.  
2.)  Cut one of the shirts into strips approximately 1.5 - 2 inches wide. 
3.) Use a seam ripper to separate the strips, creating twice as many. 
4.) Lay flat over the front of your intact tank, slightly overlapping.  These will be your ruffles.  
5.)  Cut one strip with a curvature side and sew this to the neckline, gathering evenly.  
6.)  Take your ribbon and trip some of the strips by sewing them on.  The ribbon will gather naturally, creating a slight ruffle.
7.)  Remove the strips from the front of the shirt, setting them aside.  Take a seam ripper and unstitch the sides of the tank, enabling you to work with the material more easily.
8.)  Begin sewing the strips on one at a time, ensuring that each new strip or layer completely overlaps the stitching on the previous strip.  Alternate ribbon-trimmed strips with rough edge strips of the jersey material.  This will create depth and interest to the tank.
9.)  Sew the strips up to the neckline.
10.)  Turn the shirt inside out, gathering both sides together.  Maneuver the strips/ ruffles so that the rough edges peak out of the sides.  Re-sew the sides of the shirt together, gathering the ruffled edges this time.
11.)  Turn right side out.  Wear and enjoy!  Perfect for pairing with a cami or draped cardigan.  





Hope these pictures were helpful, but if you have any questions about creating your own look, let me know!  I'd be happy to help.

PS.  I was first inspired by -- and frequently consulted -- this Tutorial on How to Make a Ruffle Shirt  while happily sewing away!

5 comments:

  1. Love it Ashley!!!
    You have to attempt more of these projects! Excited to see more of your creativity!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley!! It looks gorgeous. Make me one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness it's beautiful! I want to learn! Maybe I can find a good sowing machine at a garage sale this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Gorgeous, Ashley. I Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are inspiring!! My expert seamstress of a mother-in-law found me an amazing deal on a sewing machine which is on its way in the mail to yours truly as I type and this article has me SO EXCITED to try to follow in your footsteps!! :D Baby girl dresses, here we come!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...